Genetic and Phenotypic Parameters of First Lactation Traits in Sahiwal Cattle: A Review
The heritability estimates of age at first calving (AFC), first lactation 305-day or less milk yield (FL305DMY) and first service period (FSP) of Sahiwal cattle ranged from zero to 0.80 ± 0.10, 0.04 ± 0.08 to 0.95 ± 0.24 and zero to 0.50 ± 0.18, respectively. Genetic correlation of AFC with FL305DMY and FSP ranged from -0.72 ± 0.22 to 0.44 and -0.83 ± 0.63 to 0.64 ± 0.001, respectively. However, genetic correlation of FL305DMY with FSP ranged from -0.90 ± 0.07 to 0.40 ± 0.36. The heritability estimates of the FSP was found to be low indicated the little scope for the genetic improvement; while higher heritability estimates of AFC and FL305DMY indicated the wide scope for further improvement in this traits through selection.
2. Bajetha G. (2006). Sire evaluation of Sahiwal and crossbred cattle Ph. D. Thesis, GBPAUT, Pantnagar, India.
3. Banik S, Gandhi R.S. (2010). Estimation of genetic parameters in Sahiwal cattle using single and multi-trait restricted maximum likelihood method. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 80(3):266-268.
4. Bhatnagar D.S, Taneja V.K., Basu S.B. and Murthy K (1983). Genetic parameters for some economic traits in Sahiwal cattle. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 36(4):402-406.
5. Chander R, Singh D, Dalal D.S., Malik Z.S. and Dixit S.P. (2008). Genetic studies on components of first lactation and lifetime traits in Sahiwal cattle. Indian J. Anim. Res., 42 (1): 44-48.
6. Dahlin A., Khan U.N, Zafar A.H., Saleem M., Chaudry M. A. and Philipsson J. (1998). Genetic and environmental causes of variation in milk production traits of Sahiwal cattle in Pakistan. Anim. Sci., 66(2): 307-318.
7. Debbarma M (2010). Genetic analysis of test day milk yield in Sahiwal cattle. M.V.Sc Thesis, NDRI, Karnal, India.
8. Dubey PP, Singh CV (2005). Estimates of genetic and phenotypic parameters considering first lactation and lifetime performance traits in Sahiwal and crossbred cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 75(11): 1289-1294.
9. Gandhi RS, Gurnani M (1988). Association amongst different productive and reproductive traits in Sahiwal cattle. Asian J. Dairy. Res., 7(3): 171-173.
10. Gandhi RS (2007). Multiple trait sire evaluation using factor analysis in Sahiwal cattle. Indian J. Anim. Sci., 77(11):1139-1142.
11. Ilatsia ED, Muasya TK, Muhuyi WB, Khai AK (2007). Genetic and phenotypic parameters and annual trends for milk production and fertility traits of the Sahiwal cattle in semi arid Kenya. Trop. Anim. Health Prod., 39: 37-48.
12. Kannan DS. (2002). Lifetime performance evaluation of Sahiwal cattle. M. Sc. Thesis, NDRI, Karnal, India
13. Kathiravan P, Sachdeva GK, Gandhi RS, Raja TV, Singh PK, Singh A (2009). Genetic evaluation of first lactation production and reproduction traits in Sahiwal cattle. Journal of Livestock Biodiversity, 1(2): 51-55.
14. Kumar A, Gandhi RS, Paul AK (2009). Genetic evaluation of lifetime traits in Sahiwal cattle. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 62(1): 374-376.
15. Kumar V (2003). Prediction of lifetime milk and milk constituents yield from first lactation traits in Sahiwal cattle. M. Sc. Thesis, NDRI, Karnal, India.
16. Manoj, M. 2009. Evolving multi-trait selection criteria using body weights and first lactation traits in Sahiwal cattle. M.V.Sc. Thesis, NDRI, Karnal, India
17. Mohanty, J. S. 2001. Principal components analysis: A multi trait selection criterion in Sahiwal cattle. M. Sc. Thesis. NDRI, Karnal, India
18. Mohiuddin G, Ahmed Z, Khan MA, Akthar P, Ali S (1991). Genetic, phenotypic and environmental correlations between milk yield and some other economic traits in Sahiwal cattle. Pakistan Vet. J., 11(3):113-116.
19. Raja TV (2010). Part lactation records for Sahiwal sire evaluation. Ph. D. Thesis, NDRI, Karnal, India.
20. Raja KN (2004). Genetic and phenotypic trends for production and reproduction performance of Sahiwal Cattle. M.V.Sc. Thesis, NDRI, Karnal, India.
21. Rao DS (1985). Sire evaluation on the basis of multiple traits in Sahiwal. M. Sc. Thesis, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, India.
22. Reddy KM, Nagarcenkar R (1989). Inheritance of first lactation traits in Sahiwal cattle. Indian J. Dairy Sci., 42(2): 382-383.
23. Rehman ZU, Khan SM, Bhatti SA, Iqbal J (2008). Factors affecting first lactation performance of Sahiwal cattle in Pakistan. Arch. Tierz., Dummerstorf. 51 (4): 305-317
24. Singh N, Dahiya S, Singh B (1999). Phenotypic and genetic parameters of some economic traits in Sahiwal cattle. Inter. J. Anim. Sci., 14(2): 297-300
25. Singh R (1986). Selection of optimum combinations of early traits for maximizing genetic improvement in dairy cattle. Ph. D. Thesis, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, India.
26. Singh SK (1981). Herd size and its influence on genetic change for economic traits in Sahiwal. Ph.D. Thesis, Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, India.
27. Tomar AK, Prasad RB, Bhadula SK (1996). First lactation performance of Holstein, Sahiwal and their half-breds in Tarai region of Northern India. Indian J. Anim. Res., 30 (2): 129-133.
Copyright (c) 2014 The Indian Journal of Veterinary Science
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.